Dabeli is Indian version of Sloppy Joe. It is a street food from western state Gujarat.
4 medium sized potatoes - boiled and mashed.
Dabeli Masala (Available in Indian stores - I used Badshah brand Dabeli masala)
Peanuts ( I used cocktail peanuts. If you are using regular peanuts then fry them in a little bit oil and crush after it cools down)
Onion cut into small pieces
Chili -Garlic paste
Hawaiian or plain dinner rolls
- Mix dabeli masala with mashed potatoes and make masala according to instructions
- Take a dip dish and make layer of spicy potatoes and add a layer of peanuts, sev, cilantro and pomegranates
- Cut the dinner role in half and toast it a little bit on a hot griddle the same way you toast the burger buns (you can use a T Sp. of oil if you prefer)
- Add garlic chutney on the bun, followed by dabeli masala potatoes.
- Garnish with Amli(Imli) chutney, green chutney, sev and onions.
- Enjoy the dabeli.
To make Green Chutney
- Grind a bunch of cilantro, 2-3 green peppers, ginger (about 1 inch of piece), salt, 1 T Sp. Turmeric, juice of 1 lemon, 1 Tb Sp. Coriander-cumin (dhana-jeeru) powder and 3-4 cloves of garlic(optional) in a food processor or a mixer. You can add water as desired to make it smoother.
To make Amli Chutney
- Soak amli in water for about half an hour. Boil the amli with water for about 10 minutes and add Gud (jaggery) to the water after turning the heat off. Jaggery will melt in the hot water, when it cools down squash the water out of amli and discard the remaining pieces of amli. Add little salt, dhana-jeeru powder, a T Sp. of red chili powder and mix well. (Note- Jaggery makes the sauce little salty so you may not need to add salt if you prefer less salty food.)
To make Chili- Garlic Paste
- Crush about 4-5 garlic cloves with 2 TB Sp. red chili powder in a mortar.